Wednesday, April 04, 2007

FYI

I was just sitting here wondering
why they call grape nuts... grape nuts
so I looked it up

here's why...
(according to wikipedia)
Neither grapes nor nuts have ever been ingredients in the cereal.
The original formula for Grape-Nuts called for grape sugar, which is composed
mostly of glucose unlike most other sugar sources and food sweeteners which are
principally sucrose. This, combined with the "nutty" flavor of the cereal inspired its name.
But some employees at Post claim that the cereal got its name because the tiny
nuggets resemble grape seeds or grape "nuts".

the end

*This has been another fascinating post by Casual Slack

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going with the second explanation. I always thought grape nuts was just TOTALLY wrong for that cereal. They should have called them "molar splitters", or "tiny rocks", or "granite bits"...

Jen said...

BWahahaHAHahahaHa

Anonymous said...

Jen, you forgot to say "another fascinating post by Casual Slack"!

And yeah, I would have to agree with Dick. Yikes!

Jen said...

Oooooops
You're right Teri

fixed!

Anonymous said...

I also find it fascinating that you were "just sitting there wondering". Now I know where some of your posts come from but I have yet to figure out your brain.

ah, the complexity of Casual Slack!

I wonder if "you're welcome" would have worked better with this post?

Jen said...

HAhahah
I don't think
anyone can figure
out my brain..

I think it could have
gone either way
with this one..
"you're welcome"
or "another fascinating post"

both equally good

Chris Hinrichs said...

I love informative posts like this! Thanks, Jen!

Bob said...

I never even knew that grapes had testicles.

Anonymous said...

They should have named it after me and called it 'Dick Nuts'.

Jen said...

Start your
morning off right with
'Dick Nuts'

Tastes Great
and Sooooooo good for you!

Lynda said...

I always thought that Grape Nuts just came from casterated male grapes.

Boy was I ever wrong!

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY wrong, miss Lynda! You're still as cute as ever, though!