Monday, May 07, 2007

green

I was just searching the
internet looking for
non-toxic alternatives for
weed killer & drain cleaner

I found these recipes:
Drain Cleaner
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup white vinegar
Boiling water

Weed Killer
* 1 tablespoon of gin
* 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
* 1 quart of hot water

Alternate version:
* 1 gallon of distilled vinegar
* 1 cup of salt
* 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

Spray these directly on weeds in the garden or pour directly
into cracks of walks and driveways.


Anyone have a better mix?


ALSO:
I came across this website:
www.lowimpactliving.com





Check it out!

5 comments:

Bob said...

I've used the drain cleaner one. Didn't work. The theory is that the fizz will clean out the trap. The boiling water may get the soap scum out and help whatever is clogging the drain pass.

I've heard of the weed killer one, but I've never used it. I found it in a book by Jerry Baker. I've tried some of his other lawn potions, they didn't do squat. His book warns not to get the weed killer on any other plants, so I'm guessing that if it does work, it will kill the grass as well as the weed.

Anonymous said...

'Weed killer' would be a great name for a cocktail, minus the soap. Only 2 allowed per customer.

"Bartender! A round of weedkillers for the house! On me!"

Fantastagirl said...

http://www.dirtworks.net/Weed-Solutions.html

This site might give you some hints.

Jen said...

thanks for the link
fantastagirl

Lynda said...

You might want to do a search of Cooperative Extension and the recipe you want. Sounds like stuff you would get from your local extension office.