Monday, November 27, 2006

Stop-Motion Animation

- You Gotta Love Rankin & Bass -

Who is Rankin Bass you ask?
The company that produced the stop-motion animated
Christmas specials such as...
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in 1964

I would wait all year to watch
these christmas specials
now kids can get them on DVD and watch them
as much as they want!!
unbelievable...

When I was a kid I always wished I could live in that
Christmas town.. with the talking reindeer and the happy
tree decorating squirrels & birds
admit it... It looked like an ideal place to live

Hell.. I would have even lived on the
Island of Misfit Toys - I wasn't Picky
Although that misfit girl doll & charlie in the box
- might have gotten on my nerves after a while.
And I would have had to put a stop to all that annoying singing

Anyway.. it never worked out, I didn't get to move there
I heard there was a huge waiting list... and
You gotta know somebody on the inside to get a spot
Pffffft... whatever

These are 2 of the actual restored
original stop-motion puppets of Santa and Rudolph
used in the 1964 Rankin/Bass holiday special
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.


>>There are very few left in existence The materials used were flexible
and sprayed down with a type of flock to avoid reflection for filming purposes.
The Spray had some acidity to it and eventually would cause the figure(s)
to deteriorate over time. Some do still exist in private collections<<


How cool would it be to own this??
How friggin cool???
I want it.. I want it.. I want it..
**If there are any millionaires out there who would like to buy
these for me.. I would really, really appreciate it - thanks!**

17 comments:

Joe said...

You go Gurl!

Excellent TV show. There was something special about Rudolph and Frosty.

With the less sophisticated stop-motion, there was a vulnerability about thes characters. Plus, the voices were done by actors with old school training and they added a depth missing today. There wasn't a lot of cultural snippets in these movies. That's what I hate about the Simpsons now. The early episodes were devoid of these.

Love Rudy.

Anonymous said...

Happy C&C Monday

Anonymous said...

I loved those, and still watch them every year.
Just last year I bought the DVD set w/Rudolph, Santa's comin' to town, Lil' Drummer Boy, etc.
Timeless.

Moderator said...

Those puppetry Xmas shows always were my favorites. They still are. And now, since you showed those pictures, the Casual Slack is my favorite Xmas blog.

Teri said...

God, you have mean parents, you were so deprived as a child.....

by the way, LOVE these cartoons, grew up on them and couldn't wait for Christmas to see the cartoons.

Anonymous said...

I would've given the doll who was on the Island of Misfit Toys a very nice home. That's another damn toy I didn't get.. .a misfit doll.

Bob said...

My kids love that Rudolph show, they watch it every day from the time it airs each year until after new years when it drives me nuts and I delete it from the DVR.

Jen said...

lol
I wasn't that deprived..
just a little

my mom is nice..
really!

=)

Lynda said...

What? You can't watch them on YouTube for free??

Doctor Mom™ said...

We've got Hermie the Dentist living across the street from us

What a dork~!

Misti said...

Those are my favorite Christmas specials!!! I never see them on TV anymore. If I could find them on DVD I would buy them!!!

I still want the Dolly from the Island of Misfit Toys and I am 35 years old.

Jen said...

Crazy- They sell
all of them on DVD!

2 fools said...

My favorite is when Yukon Cornelius gives the little lick to the tip of his ice pick...

WOW that sounded gross.

Sorry, kids.

2 fools said...

WHOA! HOLY SHIT, IS THAT THE REAL GRANT MILLER?

2 fools said...

WHOA! HOLY SHIT, IS THAT THE REAL GRANT MILLER?

2 fools said...

Is there an echo in here?

Anonymous said...

you know they sell those movies in 3-d dvd's at sears for 11.99 each. bought one for the kiddie
-ellie