Sunday, April 01, 2007

pet food











This Pet Food Recall Is freaking me out..
They keep adding new brands to the list.

I went to Petsmart today, on a mission to find safe
cat food for the boys.

So I see a saleswoman and she was standing with a rep
from one of the pet food companies

Me: "Hi, I'm looking for some dry cat food that doesn't contain poison..
Do you have anything like that? Maybe something organic?"
The sales rep immediately replied
"well.. I have some holistic food that's close to organic
Would you like to hear about it??"

Me: "it's poison free?"

Sales Rep: "Absolutely poison free"

Me: "Okay.. lead me to it"
then she give me the entire schpeel about the company..
How it was developed in Connecticut by some rich guy who's dog had cancer
and he had special food made that was
super healthy...yadda yadda yadda...
and how great it is and it's all natural no fillers and it has blueberries & cranberries

then she asks me what I usually feed my cats

Me: "Science Diet"
She looks at me as if I was an abusive pet owner...

Sales Rep:
"oh... no no no no.. this is MUCH BETTER"

Me: "Well, I'll give it a try, but my cats are pretty picky"
(I guarantee Travis will HATE IT)
Sales Rep: "Well You need to introduce this food very slowly"
she hands me a chart.. that says how much each day to mix with their old brand of food
"You don't want to shock their system by giving it to them all at once"
Me: "Really?"

THEN:
(I like how she saves this part till the end)
Sales Rep: "Oh yes.. it may give them loose, watery stool"

Me: (Thinking to myself...That's just fucking great)
I look at my husband .. he looks at me... we both look at the woman
"Oh.. that's not good"

Sales Rep: "Oh yes.. it's very rich compared to that stuff you've
been feeding them" (once again I am the abusive pet owner)
"Just give a little bit at a time in the beginning"

Me: "okay great.."

So here is the stuff I bought













and it will be introduced VERY VERY SLOWLY
Wish me luck..

and Travis

oh and Jerry too..

**Anyone have a cat food brand suggestion?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been using science diet, too.

It's my understanding that it's the wet food that is the problem, and we've been using dry.

I actually missed the recall by a hair, because science diet was giving away a free can of wet food with their dry. There are 2 wet kitten foods, and I happened to pick the one that was NOT being recalled.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed... but Bogey seems to be fine, thankfully.

Good luck! I guess if it came right down to it you could find a recipe on the internet.

Bloomin' Crazy said...

I asked my hubby (he's a veterinarian) and he said that as long as it doesn't have wheat gluten in it, it should be fine. Apparently it's the wheat gluten from a certain manufacturer that is the problem.

So be sure to check the ingredients before buying any wet food!

Bob said...

I've heard good things about Nutro brand dry food. Might be worth checking into.

Jen said...

unfortunately
I think Nutro was on the list..

it's a BIG list

Bob said...

Nutro wet food is on the list. Menu makes all the wet food with gravy for most if not every brand. Nutro makes their own dry food.

I hate canned pet food, nasty shit. The only thing my dog has ever gotten is dry kibble.

Just Dave said...

Go back to Science Diet dry. It's good stuff and generally helps with urinary tract problems that cats are so subject to.

Lynda said...

We feed Nikki and the boys Nutro. We only give them dry, because canned food isn't as healthy for them. The only canned food the boys would eat was Purina though. Before we got Nikki, we use to feed the boys Science Diet.

Only the pouches and cans are on the list, so if you don't feed them cans you should be ok.

Lynda said...

Oh, and our Petsmart was pimping that food too. I couldn't believe the price. It was like $42 bucks.

Anonymous said...

You're not alone!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263290,00.html

Anonymous said...

Is that a cupcake on the front?!

Jen said...

hahaha no..

It's a cat
and a face
and a heart

click on pic
for larger version