Tuesday, November 21, 2006

DMV





I just got back from the DMV
I went to one that is inside of a mall..
well if you can call it a mall, most of the stores went out of business
so It's like a big empty building with 3 or 4 stores

so we walk in and get a number.. our number is 170
they are currently on number 138... **SIGH**

So we wait...
and wait...

In walks this old man & his wife
and he's pushing a Walmart Shopping Cart
the cart was empty except for his cane
he's wearing a nasty looking baseball hat with a "Dickies" logo
A shiny purple jacket with a gold collar
and his name written on the front "Frankie"
His wife is walking in-front of him and she's talking REALLY LOUD
and she tells him they are on number 152
he replies.. WHAT?

THEY ARE ON NUMBER 152 ...1.....5......2

he replies.. WHAT?

people sitting in the waiting area yell to him: 152

he replies.. WHAT?

the wife points to the big lit up sign that reads 152
he mumbles something an proceeds to walk right up to the counter
with his shopping cart
and get this.. THEY WAITED ON HIM

oh.. don't mind all of us other assholes
waiting for our numbers to be called.. go right ahead sir
What the fuck!!!!!!!

So after my 45 minutes wait they finally they call 170
woo hoooooooo

I go up to the counter and here is the
conversation that followed:

Me: "Hi, I'm just renewing .. my correct address is written on the
back because I moved"

DMV woman: "I'll need proof of that"

Me: Here's my registration

DMV woman: "that's fine" *typing* type.. type type type*
"Hmmmm
Mrs. "Slack" did we get married and not change our name with social security??
We need to change our name"

Me: *Confused / Baffled Look*
"umm uh.. what? that's my name.. on the license"

DMV woman: "Your name on your license doesn't match the name
on social security. Do you have you card with you?"

Me: "I haven't seen my social security card since 1989"

DMV woman: "well then your social security card must still have your
maiden name on it"

Me: "But my license already has my married name on it"

DMV woman: "It has to match.. I can't give you your license
You have to go to social security fill out forms then wait 24 hours
before returning to the DMV"

Me: Horrified / Confused look on my face-"... I what?"

DMV woman: "You have to go to social security fill out forms then wait
24 hours before returning to the DMV"

Me: "I want to kill myself"

DMV woman: *Just stares at me for a second*
then says "Well...Here.. I'll give you a 'front of the line pass'
(the I want to kill myself line must have hit a nerve)
and proceeds to scribble on tiny white piece of paper"
"good for any day after 2:00"

It doesn't even look legitimate.. It looks like I wrote it
for Christ's sake! This isn't a pass... It better work!!!


DMV woman: smiles.. "have a good night"

Me: "OKay.. thanks .. you too"


YEAH
I'LL DO THAT
I'll have a great fucking night after waiting 45 minutes for nothing!
Now I have an expired license and a headache! THANKS!!!

Does anyone know where the social security office is?
because I sure the hell don't..

Oh.. and I'm sure it's only open while I'm at WORK
And I'm sure I'll have to PAY to change my name!

Perhaps if I brought a shopping cart things
would have been different...

14 comments:

GeminiWisdom said...

Yeah, I had to do that, too. They wouldn't let me get my license until I'd changed my name with SS. I think I was at that office for half a day. And no, you don't have to pay to change it. I had to pay for it to be changed on my license though. How is it that you were able to change your license without going thru SS first? Weird

Anonymous said...

That sucks.

The last time I was there it seemed like everyone had to bring their babies in a stroller, and bring their friend (who probably could've stayed home with the baby??).

And some chick who's cell kept ringing every 3 seconds with 50 Cent's "In Da Club". I'll never get tired of that song.

Bob said...

I had to have my freaking birth certificate to get a drivers license when I moved to a different state. I have no clue why.

The SS office is usually at a federal courthouse or post office in a larger city. I guess if you live in Rhode Island it must be within 10 miles or so.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, I have a few former "business partners" who "owed me a favor". Let's just say they're "paying me back". I guarantee you'll have no further trouble with THAT bitch.

btw, the above Travis pic, too cool.

Jod{i} said...

hmmm I had a DMV odessy Last week...I see COnnecticut and Rhode Island exchange workers...

Peace

Mel said...

I have heard lots of people have had trouble with the DMV after the new hippa laws went into effect. They are supposed to protect us they say but so far its just been a big pain in the ass.

I said ass LOL

Bloomin' Crazy said...

Here in Canada we don't have a Social Security card, we have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. I haven't seen mine since 1993. I think it's still in my maiden name too...oops!

Lynda said...

You don't need to pay to change your social, but you will need your marriage license. Heck, you don't even need to old card.

I changed mine, but I don't know where my card is....

Joe said...

Call and see if you can get an appointment b4 going to avoid the wait. Here in CA we can do that w/t DMV.

PS--My fav Slack posts are the "in line" experiences. Can you say TIM HORTON!

I have an "in line" post office experience I wrote years ago. I need to find and post.

jorghahaq said...

Fair warning, the social security office is just as annoying as the DMV. Sigh.

DutchBitch said...

Perhaps if, when you go back, you bring the "front of the line-pass" AND a shopping cart... Hmmm?

EJL said...

do it online,
I think that is BS, I only had to bring my marriage cert. Who knows where my ss card is

I think the dmv just likes to make our lives harder

Jack W. Regan said...

Back when I went to get my first driver's license, they informed me I didn't bring the "proper" birth certificate. What? I wasn't aware there were options where birth certificates were concerned. Geez! I hate the DMV.

Fantastagirl said...

When I got my new SS card - not so bad - but that was 10 years ago - they wanted a copy of the marriage certificate, birth Certificate and a form of ID. They were quick!