Monday, September 15, 2008

flash back

Flash Back
4th grade circa 1983
Our music teacher "Mr. Thomson"
(A big fan of brown corduroy pants & sweater vests)
- he would let the kids bring in a record or cassette
and pick a song they wanted the class to hear
And he would play it at the end of class.. he was cool.

I remember borrowing from my brother
"Blondie - The Tide is High"- 45 record











Mr. Thomson asked "Who brought in a song today?"
I raised my hand proudly

"okay bring it up.."

I strolled over to the record player and handed him my 45
he read it out loud to the class

**APPLAUSE**

the music played on - every student
giving my music choice their undivided attention
the entire classroom filled with joy
they all dug it...

"The tide is high but I'm holding on
I'm gonna be your number one
I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that
Oh, no

It's not the things you do that tease and wound me bad
But it's the way you do the things you do to me

I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that
Oh, noooooooooo

The tide is high but I'm holding on
I'm gonna be your number one
Number one, number one"

I shined that day

the song ended
followed by more **APPLAUSE**
and I still remember a girl named "Christa"
standing up and yelling at the top of her lungs
WOW! that was GOOOOOD! Thanks Jen!"

yeah...
I rocked that day

I was surprised they didn't carry me around
on their shoulders, chanting my name...

a kid named "TJ" was up next
with Lionel Richie - "YOU ARE"
it didn't stand a god damn chance
it was a tough act to follow...

I don't remember too much more about fourth grade
but.. who cares - it all sucked anyway


the end

7 comments:

Joe said...

Now Jenster...it no suck!

What triggers these flashbacks? Do share.

Chrysalis Records was great. They signed The Babys, UFO, and Pat Benetar!

Dr Zibbs said...

I like that song as much as funny bones. Which is alot.

Annie said...

I would have given you a piece of gum for that one or maybe even one of my Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies.

Bob said...

That's a great song, I remember hearing it on the radio a lot when I was a kid.

alybeth72 said...

You definitely would have been the star of my class too with that song!

Anonymous said...

The original was by Jamaican group The Paragons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjx2dxA7TI

The Wife O Riley said...

That's way better than the rousing rendition of Elenore Rigby that we got to sing!